In Australia there have not been many dinosaur bones found unlike other countries, although there have been a lot of rocks that come from the same age. The following is a list of some dinosaur findings in Australia.
Longman, H.A. 1927 The giant dinosaur Rhoetosaurus brownei. Memoirs of the Queensland Museum 9:1-18
- The partial skeleton of the Muttaburrasaurus was first found near the Thompson river close to the town of Muttaburra in Queensland, Australia, in 1963. The Muttaburrasaurus was a herbivore
and thought to be up to 7 metres long. It had powerful jaws and sharp teeth to cut through the vegetation it ate.
- Australovenator was found on a cattle Station near Winton, Queensland, in 2006. The discovery included a partial skeleton including its teeth, partial forelimbs and hindlimbs, and rib fragments.
It was a medium-sized allosauroid, about 2 metres tall at the hip and 6 metres long .
image of Australovenator (source: wikicommons)
- The bones of Minmi was found near the Minmi Crossing, near Roma, Queensland, Australia. It was a small armoured herbivore and had a long tail. On its armoured body were bony protrusions,
probably to protect it from its predators.
image of Minmi (source: wikipedia)
Two thigh bones and some vertebrae (spinal bones) of the Timimus
was found at Dinosaur Cove, Victoria. Timimus was a theropod and lived in the early Cretaceous period (about 100million
years ago) and was thought to have been about 2.5m long
For more readings
- Hocknull, Scott A., M.A.White, M.A., T.R.Tischler, A.G.Cook, N.D.Calleja, T.Sloan & D.A.Elliott 2009. New mid-Cretaceous (latest Albian) dinosaurs from Winton, Queensland, Australia. PLoS ONE 4(7): e6190
- Long JA (1998). Dinosaurs of Australia and New Zealand and other animals of the Mesozoic Era. UNSW Press. ISBN 0-86840-448-9.
- Long, J.A. (1998). Dinosaurs of Australia and New Zealand and Other Animals of the Mesozoic Era, Harvard University Press, p. 108
- Norman, D. 1985. The Illustrated Encyclopaedia of Dinosaurs. Salamander Books Limited, London.
- M. J., Norell, M., McKenna, M. C. and Clark, J. 2004. Fossils of the Flaming Cliffs. Pp. 56-63 in Scientific American Special Edition: Dinosaurs and other monsters Vickers-Rich, P. Monaghan,
- Vickers-Rich, P. and Rich, T. 2004. Dinosaurs of the Antarctic. Pp. 40-47 in Scientific American Special Edition: Dinosaurs and other monsters.
- Vickers-Rich, P., Rich, T. H., Rich, L. S. and Rich, T. 1997. Australian Dinosaurs. Kangaroo Press, Sydney.